March 9, 2011

Foggy Mornings

I awoke this morning to a thick layer of fog blanketing the Livermore valley, and it reminded me of another foggy morning, a couple years ago.  It was Thanksgiving weekend, and both my and Josh's parents flew out to California to spend the holiday with us.  I've always been a daddy's girl, and one of my favorite parts of that trip was spending time with my dad.

My dad and I decided pre-trip that we would go running each morning together, so he brought his running shoes along.  The first day, we did run, a little, until it became painfully clear that neither of us had really run much up to that point, and then we had a little incident where one of us nearly launched headfirst into a stream (I won't mention names).  So, for the rest of the trip, we decided that we'd go for hikes instead of running.

The next morning, the whole valley was socked in with fog so thick you could only see a couple feet in front of you.  Not wanting to give up, we drove slowly to one of my favorite local parks, Del Valle, and proceeded to hike up to the top of a ridge overlooking the lake.  As we climbed up the mountain, we broke through the fog, and were able to see across the landscape for miles.  It was gorgeous, and I couldn't have imagined a better moment to spend time with my dad.

So, here's to remembering all those little moments with your loved ones, and creating new moments together each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment