March 23, 2011

The best camera...

...Is the one you have with you.  Many people have heard this saying, and it's one that's gaining popularity lately.  It's a great idea, encouraging you to capture the moment with whatever camera you have handy, instead of missing it completely because you don't have the "right" gear with you.  If something catches your eye, and all you've got is your iPhone, go to town!

I carry the Adventure Camera on all of our expeditions, but there are a few places that I drive or bike by almost every day, and keep saying to myself, "I'll come back later with my big camera," rather than just grabbing the shot with what I've got on me.  So, yesterday, I decided to change all that while out on my bike.  The storm rolling in over the pastures caught my eye, and I stopped on the shoulder of the road, whipped out my Blackberry, and got the shot, all while another cyclist rode past looking at me like I was on glue.  (Is it really crazy to appreciate beauty wherever you happen to be?  I think not!)  Now, I generally hate shooting with my phone-- the delay between pressing the shutter and it taking the shot, the lack of any sort of exposure control, the darn trackball that always jumps to the wrong button at the last second-- it all drives me nuts.  But I'm glad I stopped, because not I have this moment to share.


By the way, I don't in any way condone talking/texting/web surfing on your phone while riding your bike.  It's dangerous, especially when you're on the road.  I ride some rather deserted roads and always take my phone in case of emergency (or photo ops!).

Happy hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment