February 18, 2011

Diamonds + Coals - Down Boots and Breakfast at Tiffany's

I grew up in Michigan, where slippers are an absolute necessity in the winter, and even here in California, I still wear slippers around the house when it's chilly.  For the last couple years, my slippers of choice have been down boots, usually of the REI variety.  Since I wear them a lot, they usually last about year, and by November are starting to look pretty sad (and decorated with a little duct tape on the soles).  It works out alright, though, because someone inevitably gives me a new pair for Christmas.  This year, though, REI stopped carrying my favorite slippers, and now that it's February, the foam soles in my current pair have started to make an escape from the remainder of the boot, duct tape notwithstanding.  So, this morning, after I nearly tripped my way into the kitchen for breakfast due to a runaway sole, Josh announced that today was Shop for New Slippers Day.  And so the hunt for 2011's slippers begins....

This week's diamonds go to...
- Having lunch with friends.  It's always great to catch up over a glass of wine and some good Chinese food.
- Uncle Yu's.  I had only been there for dinner until yesterday, and turns out, they have great lunch specials, and of course, great wine pairings.

And coals to...
- Breakfast at Tiffany's, the movie.  We watched it for Valentine's Day, and though I really wanted to like it, the plot was just all over the place.  Maybe it's a generational thing.
- Breakfast at Tiffany's, the song.  After watching the movie, I haven't been able to get Deep Blue Something's song out of my head all week, and it's getting very, very old. 

Have a great weekend, everyone, and I hope to see you at the Concord Wedding Fair on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment