July 15, 2011

Diamonds + Coals - Vacation and Sunburns

Fifteen minutes.  That's all it took.  Josh and I were up at Lake Tahoe for vacation, on our rest day, relaxing and packing for our four-day kayak adventure around the lake.  We finished our errands much faster than we thought we would, and suddenly had a whole afternoon in front of us.  So, we decided to go to the beach.  We walked the quarter-mile from our campsite to the Zephyr Cove beach, found ourselves a nice patch of sand, and then realized we had left the sunscreen back at camp.  Back to camp we went, returning with our SPF 50 to watch the waves and people.  In total, we were out without sunscreen for 15 minutes, but that was enough to give me the worst sunburn I have ever gotten, and my poor feet were a color of red only lobsters can achieve.  It's taken a week and a half, but my feet are finally getting back to normal, and closed-top shoes are gradually making their way back into my wardrobe.

So, this week's diamonds go to...
- Vacations!  We may not take "normal" vacations, but I am a firm believer that everyone should take as many vacations as possible.  It's a time to relax and get back to the real you, and I love it!
- Sunscreen.  For keeping the extra-strong mountain sun from frying me to a crisp, feet excepted.
- WhirleyPop.  Yes, this is totally random.  I love popcorn, and Josh just ordered me 30 pounds of gourmet kernels for my kettle popper.  I can't wait till it arrives!

Of course, coals to...
- Sunburns.  I supposed encasing my feet in wet neoprene and sitting in a boat for five days after getting burned may not have helped, but sunburns still don't rank on my Top Ten Fun Activities in the Summer list.

Have a wonderful, sunny weekend, and don't forget the sunscreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment