April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding

All week, I've been trying to get excited about the Royal Wedding, and it just wasn't happening for me.  Being in the wedding industry, I felt it was my duty to be interested, and even tried watching a few PBS documentaries about it.  That lasted about four minutes.  I love all the little details of weddings-- the dress, the shoes, the rings, the cake, the flowers-- all those tiny things that come together to make the day truly unique, and the royal family just wasn't leaking those details out.

This morning, however, I logged on to YouTube, and watched oodles of video coverage of the wedding, and now I'm excited!  All those secret details were revealed, and I love it!  Kate's dress?  LOVE.  I'm a huge fan of unique wedding gowns, and Kate's was elegant, stylish, and perfect for a late-spring celebration.  The ivory dress complemented her complexion beautifully, and the lace sleeves and deep V neckline were romantically old-fashioned while being fashion-forward all the same.  Finished with a simple pleated full skirt and cathedral train (how appropriate!), it's a dress that I'm sure will inspire gowns for years to come.

Top that off with a lace-edged veil, a royal tiara, delicate teardrop earrings, a simple and romantic bouquet, and a tradition-inspired wedding band, and you have perfection.  And the engagement ring?  Regardless of the controversy behind it, it's a gorgeous ring, it clearly mean something to William, and well, I'm always a fan of rings that have a story behind them.  And, I just love the sapphire-- with most rings being focused around a diamond, the ring is truly unique.  Plus, I happen to love sapphires (my engagement ring has sapphires, too!).  Clearly, I have royal tastes.  ;)

Last but not least, there's Westminster Abbey.  Just amazing.  Cathedrals in general leave me awestruck with the amount of fine craftsmanship that went into building them, and their lasting legacies, and Westminster Abbey doesn't disappoint.  I've only ever seen the outside of it (it was closed to the public when I happened to stop by), but it's a truly amazing place all the same.  And, while most churches are dimly lit, the lighting in Westminster was just gorgeous!  Warm, soft, and flattering.

So, diamonds to the Royal Wedding.  I wonder what their wedding album will look like...

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment