October 6, 2011

Adventure Camera - Snow!

Josh and I love snow sports.  From downhill skiing to snowshoeing to moutaineering, if it involves snow, we're there.  Since the rains came in on Monday, Josh has been checking the Sierra webcams hourly to see how much snow has dropped over our favorite ski resorts and working out plans to go skiing as soon as possible.

Growing up, "snowsports" was building snowmen, attempting to build igloos, skiing down hills on over-sized cross country skis, and ice soccer (yes, it's as painful as it sounds....).  Then I met Josh, and he took me downhill skiing at the local landfill-turned-downhill-ski-resort.  (Hey, we grew up southeastern Michigan, it's a little lacking in large hills and mountains.)  We got fitted up in straighter-than-straight 1980s vintage rental skis and rear-entry boots, and headed out to the snow, where I immediately learned what a "yard sale" is.  Every time I tried to turn those skis, I'd fall, lose at least one pole, and watch my skis go sliding away, usually in opposite directions.  Josh followed me down the hill time and again, picking up the pieces and trying to teach me, well, anything.  Then I had an epiphany: I always fell when I tried to turn-- if I didn't turn, maybe I wouldn't fall!  So, I pointed the skis downhill and let loose.  I sped all the way to the bottom of the run without falling, and used a very convenient fence to stop myself.  Josh was mortified.  I think his exact words were "If you crash and break a leg before track season, your dad is going to kill me."  Back to the drawing board we went....

Skiing didn't really catch on with me that day, but a few years later, snowboarding did.  Then a temporary job at a local ski shop gave me access to way too many skis, and I was soon racing down the Sierra on a shiny pair of red Atomic skis.  From there, we discovered snowshoeing, backcountry skiing and mountaineering, and started camping out in the snow to get farther into the backcountry.  To this day, my favorite overnight trip was a climb up Lassen Peak.  We headed out one morning, climbing up past Lake Helen and to the shoulder of Lassen Peak, seeing only one ranger and a small day tour group in the distance.  That night, we had the mountain to ourselves.  We were up and climbing towards the peak at sunrise, and the view from the top was magnificent.  You could see for miles and miles in every direction, and I felt very small in a very big world.  Back down at camp, we ate breakfast and packed up for the trek back to the car with a definite bounce in our steps.  I can't wait to see what snowy adventures this winter brings!


Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment